Leave It To Nature
Fall is just days away. Many leaves are already starting to change colour and fall to the ground. If you do not already have a composting area for your leaves, then now is the time to get a good spot ready. You can build an open compost pile or an enclosed bin. Your area of choice should be a relatively sunny spot that is open to receive rainfall.
Why you should compost your leaves:
- Compost enriches soil with nutrients
- Compost helps sandy soils retain moisture
- Compost helps to loosen compact clay soils
- Mix compost with potting soil for indoor plants
- Use compost as mulch
- Composting saves transportation and disposal cost
- Composting saves landfill space and tax dollar
The “Don’t Bag It” - Compost plan offers some great tips on how to get started with composting.